Monday, April 7, 2014

Microwave Puppy Chow

Puppy chow, monkey munch, muddy buddies.  In case you have no idea what I'm talking about, puppy chow is a dessert made from peanut butter, chocolate and cereal. I thought puppy chow is the kind which uses Crispix cereal and monkey munch uses Chex, but then once I get to muddy buddies, I'm not sure there actually is a difference in the cereal you have to use. Call it what you like, just make sure it's delicious.

One of my mom's favorite treats is puppy chow (puppies > monkeys or buddies, whatever those are). Ever the chocolate and peanut butter lover, this has become one of my favorites, too. While it is fairly simple to make on the stovetop, sometimes I just want to make a single (still pretty big) serving for myself and make it quickly. Microwaves are so convenient, no?


Microwave Puppy Chow
makes one medium bowl all for yourself
or you can share. i guess.

1 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
dash of vanilla
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 cups cereal*
1 cup powdered sugar

*I used Cheerios for this batch because it's the kind I had on hand, but I personally think Crispix or some cross-hatched cereal is best: it has hollows to keep extra melty chocolate peanut butter trapped inside. :)
In a microwave safe breakfast cereal-sized bowl, heat butter and peanut butter for about 30 seconds or until melted; do NOT overcook! Once out of the microwave, add vanilla and give it a quick stir to make sure everything is incorporated. Next add the cocoa powder, making sure to get out any small clumps of powder. You should have a really delicious and melty looking mixture, but it won't taste very sweet yet.

To this mix, add your cereal and mix until the cereal is completely coated, with no excess of melted chocolate or sad, undercoated cereal. Finally, add the powdered sugar and stir. I did this in two batches because I was stirring it in the bowl and wanted to minimize mess. You can add more or less powdered sugar depending on how sugary or chocolatey you want your puppy chow to be.

At this point, I think we've got ourselves all set up for a good Netflix night, but if you want to add peanuts or M&Ms, that would be a pretty swell idea. I'd advise adding any other ingredients before the powdered sugar so they stay stuck to the rest of the mixture. We don't need candy falling all over the place.

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment